So I bought a girl’s (size 14/16) swimsuit cover up last year on clearance ($2) thinking it would be good for the pool. I burn easily. But the long sleeves didn’t fit quite right. I put it in the goodwill bin and pulled it back out about 5 times in the last year. I loved the bright happy fabric and wanted to make it work. I finally decided I had nothing to lose and started by chopping off the sleeves.
After I hemmed the sleeves, the fit was much better, but it was plain and frankly looked like scrubs. I took the leftover sleeves, chopped them up. I sewed them together on the bias to reduce the bulk in the joins, and then tried to figure out how to put the sash I had made on the shirt to make it not so boring.